/ Best viewed on a full sized computer.
The carousel below shows the entire exterior from several views.
- 1629 square feet of Living Area.
- Total area : Living, Garage, Front Porch = 2187 s.f.
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Baths
- Family Room
- Formal Dining
- Kitchen & Breakfast Room
- Walk-in Pantry
- Service Foyer
- Laundry Room
- Workshop/Garage with Large Storage Area
- Attractive Colonial-styling
- Moderate roof slope for cost control
- Large Patio
The ZOOM-ABLE image, below, provides more information about this plan.
FIRST : Zoomed screens may appear blurry at first, but in only a few seconds will become crystal clear.
TOOL-BAR INSTRUCTIONS : Use the tool-bar controls below the image to move, zoom, and pan.
MOUSE INSTRUCTIONS : Click anywhere on the image to zoom-in. Left-click and hold to drag. Mouse wheel zooms in and out. Or, Hold SHIFT key to zoom in fast, and Hold CTRL key to zoom out fast.
GO FULL SCREEN mode by clicking the toolbar button to the left of [?]. Press ESC key to exit full-screen mode.
In these times of over-building, under-saving, and reckless spending – to the point of obscenity – it’s a real pleasure to meet someone like Dempsey. His primary concern was to make his new home affordable. Here’s how we did it :
- HOME SIZE – At barely over 1600 square feet, even with the current high cost of construction, the expense to build is manageable.
- CEILING HEIGHT – Standard 8′ ceilings throughout. A stepped, or tray ceiling would add about $500 per room, But Dempsey elected to keep his cost as low as possible.
- GARAGE SIZE – His need is for a workshop instead of indoor vehicle parking, so a single Garage is more than sufficient.
- FLOORING – sheet vinyl throughout the house – low cost, low effort care-time, and cost.
- KITCHEN COUNTER-TOPS – ‘plastic laminate’ is the generic term, but you’ll recognize brand names like Formica®, and Wilsonart.® Plastic Laminate counters cost only a fraction of granite (real and fake), and the effort and cost of care is almost non-existent. Worried about being ‘green’? Plastic laminate countertop material has a carbon footprint approximate eleven thousand (yes 11,000) times less than granite.
- KITCHEN APPLIANCES – mid-range and few – no gadgets – just a stove and a microwave-hood.
- PLUMBING FIXTURES – simple, standard grade, nothing fancy, yet they all still look very nice.
- ROOF SLOPE – a moderate 6:12, straight-gable roof is far less costly, than steep, multi-faceted structures.
- ROOF EAVE & SOFFIT – vinyl, which has an initial cost not too different from painted wood, but it has a long-term maintenance cost very close to zero.
- ROOF SHINGLES – flat-tab instead of the more expensive architectural, shake-look type.
- DRIVEWAY – A short concrete drive/parking pad – only 10’x30′ – connected to a crushed stone drive path leading to the street.
- WINDOWS – Dempsey chose a simple, all-vinyl, insulated window.
The unassuming nature, and good sense of all these choices resulted in a savings of many thousands of dollars – to build for under $190,000, even on a three acre lot. Compare that to the more trendy version of the same thing costing over $320,000: and then add the cost of land.
Because Dempsey has the wisdom to build according to need instead of pride, his monthly expenses, as well as long-term home maintenance costs, are so low that he will be able to relax and enjoy his home and family; and have money to spend on the niceties of life, like an occasional trip, or gifts for his wife and children from a doting husband and father. But more important to Dempsey, as it should be to anyone, is the total commitment to keeping his family warm, dry, safe from danger. Most vital element is the assurance that his wife and children will always have a place to call home. “That security,” he says, “is worth more than chests full of gold and jewels.” – hence ‘diamond.’ Well said and done, Dempsey!!
To BUY the plan, scroll down.
Basic Plans Most Popular for Experienced Professionals and Motivated Individuals
$950First Use* ***
Full Plans Includes Documents for Mortgage origination and Building Permits
$1350First Use* ***
Pay, and submit your information.